Glenn C. Colton
Glenn focuses on white collar criminal and complex civil litigation, as well as government and internal investigations.
Glenn represents companies and individual clients in investigations and actions brought or conducted by US attorneys' offices, the US Securities and Exchange Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, (CFTC), the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), offices of inspectors general and state attorneys general. He also represents a variety of companies, ranging from Fortune 500 to private companies in complex civil litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country.
As part of his government enforcement and white collar practice, Glenn has represented top executives of hedge funds and investment advisors, the chairman of the board of a public company in an options-backdating investigation, executives of a pharmaceutical company in a kickback and illegal marketing investigation, the vice president finance of a public software company in a revenue recognition fraud investigation, a foreign insurance company in an insurance fraud investigation, a public software company in a consumer protection investigation and a critical figure in the KPMG tax shelter prosecution.
In his civil litigation practice, Glenn represents clients in constitutional, commercial, securities, intellectual property, employment and tort cases.
He has successfully represented numerous clients in high-stakes consumer, privacy and Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization (RICO) Act class actions.
Glenn has argued numerous appeals in criminal, regulatory enforcement and civil cases, as well as in an amicus, or friend of the court, capacity in cases before the US Court of Appeals for the Second and Eighth Circuits as well as in Federal District Court and state level appellate courts.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Glenn focused on white collar criminal and complex civil litigation as well as government and internal investigations at a large multinational law firm.
Glenn also served almost 10 years as an assistant US attorney in the Southern District of New York, including tenures in both the criminal and civil divisions. He was lead or co-lead trial counsel in approximately 25 trials, and all but one ended in conviction, government verdict (in civil cases) or resolution on terms favorable to the government.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Glenn frequently is called upon to provide expert legal analysis to a wide variety of publications and media outlets, including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The National Law Journal, TruTV, CNBC, CBS Radio, Law360, The Street.com, Reuters.com, The Deal.com, and Finalternatives.com.
Glenn has also been the subject of features run in The Wall Street Journal, The American Lawyer and in Law360.
- Instructor, National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Instructor, US Department of Justice National Advocacy Center
- Instructor, FBI Academy, Quantico, VA
- Regular guest trial expert on TruTV (Court TV)
- Panelist, "Response to Ponzi and Other Schemes: Alternative Investment Funds under Scrutiny," Practicing Law Institute
- Panelist, "Current Trends in Enforcement Actions," Treasury and Capital Markets Legal and Legislative Conference, Financial Markets Association, Washington, DC
- "Licensing Issues and the Use of Players' Names and Statistics," Fantasy Sports Trade Association Conferences, Las Vegas, NV; Denver, CO; Chicago, IL; and Tampa, FL
- Panelist, NYU Journal of Law and Business Discussion on "Preventing Corporate Crime," New York, NY
- Panelist, "Whose Home Run Is it Anyway?" presented by the American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law's Trade, Sports and Professional Associations Committee
- "Tackling Fantasy Football in College Athletics," IMG Intercollegiate Athletics Forum, New York, NY
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York
- US Tax Court
New York University School of LawJD1989State University of New York at BinghamtonBSsumma cum laude1986