Jennifer C. Terry
Jennifer provides management side defense to state, national and international employers, particularly in the retail, consumer product, and entertainment area. She has extensive experience litigating cases involving disability, race, age, and gender discrimination, retaliation, sexual harassment, and wrongful termination. Jennifer also defends employers against class, collective and representative claims.
Jennifer practices litigation prevention with her clients, and to that end communicates frequently to update them on the status of changing laws and to provide them with practical implementation of best practices. She provides hands on counseling in the areas of wage-hour compliance, fair pay, employee handbooks and policy review, medical, pregnancy and paid sick leave, reasonable accommodations and the interactive process, suitable seats, sexual harassment, and termination, among many other topics.
In addition, Jennifer serves as outside general counsel to various foreign and domestic entities where she counsels on a range of issues, including the preparation and negotiation commercial contracts, such as supply, distribution, and indemnity agreements, intellectual property, and immigration. Jennifer is familiar with the legal hurdles facing Latin American entities seeking to enter the U.S. market, and is a fluent Spanish speaker.
Jennifer has successfully defended national retailers, restaurant chains, entertainment companies, and multinational entities in arbitration, litigation, mediation and through favorable settlement on numerous matters, including:
- Defense of pharmaceutical retailer in national class action, successfully defeating class claims of misclassification and wage hour violations brought by delivery drivers; forced walk away of individual claims brought by plaintiff.
- Defense of fifth largest fashion retailer in numerous single plaintiff pregnancy disability and sex discrimination/harassment cases, arbitrations and EEOC charges; received extremely favorable zero hour settlement with nominal settlement sum on the eve of trial.
- Defense of leading craft retailer nationally in numerous single plaintiff cases involving disability, pregnancy, sex discrimination, and ADA accessibility; achieved favorable settlements on discrimination cases prior to summary judgment, and have prevented lawsuits through early settlement prior to threatened claims being filed.
- Defense of global healthcare company and producer of life-saving protein therapies in numerous single plaintiff cases involving whistleblower claims, retaliation, disability discrimination, and failure to accommodate; achieved successful pre-trial dismissal and early settlements favorable to the client.
- Defense of major international denim retailer in multiple single plaintiff discrimination and sexual harassment cases.
- Defense of national quick service Chinese restaurant with 1,800 locations in multiple single plaintiff discrimination and sexual harassment cases; reaching favorable settlements prior to summary judgment.
- Defense of a major entertainment and theme park employer in multiple actions under California’s FEHA alleging age and disability discrimination, retaliation, harassment, constructive and wrongful termination, failure to engage in the interactive process.
- Defense of national quick-serve fried chicken restaurant in multiple actions alleging pregnancy and race discrimination under FEHA; and before California’s Labor Commissioner for failure to pay final wages.
- Defense of Mexican finance company in dispute alleging sexual harassment; successful resolution of dispute prior to litigation being filed.
Select outside general counsel work includes:
- Advising food division of a global confectionery company, reviewing all supply, distribution, indemnity and non-disclosure agreements for its rice, organic foods and seeds businesses.
- Advising and coordinating legal advice for preeminent Mexican automobile financing company on all aspects of its business plan in the United States.
Jennifer also first chaired a federal court action under 42 U.S.C. 1983 for use of excessive force against the City of L.A. and the LAPD on behalf of an incarcerated prisoner.
Recent Articles and Legal Updates
- Paid Sick Leave Compliance: Untangling The Complicated Web
- No Fooling: April 1 Compliance Deadline for CA Discrimination and Retaliation Policies
- California’s Fair Pay Act: What is it and What Should Employers Do?
- An AB60 Driver’s License Doesn’t Establish, By Itself, Constructive Knowledge That Your Employee Is Unauthorized to Work in the US
- California Governor Vetoes Bill Seeking To Eliminate Mandatory Arbitration Agreements in Employment
- Say What? Practical Advice for Managing Employees With Discernible Foreign Accents
- The Perils of an English-Only Language Workplace Policy
- Avoiding Findings of Unconscionability in Arbitration Clauses in Employment Agreements
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Jennifer served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable J. Thomas Greene in the US District Court for the District of Utah. She also worked in the Office of General Counsel of the University of Utah.
Jennifer is a certified TAP Attorney/Volunteer Prosecutor through the L.A. County Bar Association, and is an active member of the Pro Bono Panel for the United States District Court, Central District of California. Jennifer served as Chair of the Board of Directors for the Los Angeles Children’s Chorus from 2013-2016, and currently serves as Immediate Past Chair.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Jennifer has been named among the "Top Women Lawyers" in California by the Daily Journal in 2017 and has received the 2010 Outstanding Lawyer award for the J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Los Angeles Chapter.
Her speaking engagements include:
- “Joint Employer Liability,” 2015 California Employment Law Review, December 10, 2015
- “Strategy, Insight & Counsel in the Multicultural Workplace,” 2014 California Employment Law Review, December 4, 2014
- “Get Comfortable! Suitable Seats in the Workplace,” 2013 California Employment Law Review, January 16, 2014
- “Social Media Update,” 2012 California Employment Law Review, December 6, 2012
Jennifer's published articles include:
- Co-author, "Paid Sick Leave Compliance: Untangling The Complicated Web," Law360, May 10, 2016
- Co-author, "The Perils Of An English-Only Language Workplace Policy," Law360, July 6, 2015
- Co-author, "Parties Should Consider Judges When Approving Settlements," Law360, June 25, 2014
Life Beyond the Law
Jennifer loves to spend time with her family. She believes she will never be too old to be a die-hard concert goer (her kids disagree).
Prior to law school, Jennifer lived in Argentina and Ecuador for several years, and she speaks fluent Spanish.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
University of California, Hastings College of the LawJD,1998University of UtahBA,with honors,1995University of UtahBS,with honors,1995