On December 2, the Ninth Circuit reversed the District Court’s summary judgment in favor of Ford Motor Company in a putative class action entitled Daniels v. Ford Motor Company. The Daniels plaintiffs alleged that Ford breached implied and express warranties and committed fraud in the sale of model year 2005 to 2011 Ford Focus vehicles containing alleged rear suspension defects. The Court’s decision continues California’s trend of “expand[ing] consumer protection and remedies” and comes in the wake of hundreds of recently filed lawsuits involving alleged vehicle transmission and emission defects.
George N. Koumbis
George Koumbis is an attorney in the automotive group. He works on individual consumer and class actions, unfair competition and commercial litigation. His responsibilities include trial and appellate work, regulatory compliance, and business litigation.
- Motion to compel arbitration and dismiss putative class action granted and affirmed on appeal in published opinion. (Flores v. West Covina Auto Group (2013) 212 Cal.App.4th 895.) Petition for review by CA Supreme Court granted.
- First chaired seven day court trial involving contract dispute between satellite television retailers.
- Sat second chair and attained favorable judgment in court trial representing dealership and dealer principal in multi-party litigation over alleged violation of SB 114 (providing financial incentives to “relocating” dealership).
- Served as sole arbitration counsel and obtained judicial arbitration award in favor of automotive dealership against repair facility for parts sold and referral business.
- Struck portions of plaintiffs’ complaint alleging class-wide rescission under “backdating”, “fee lumping”, and “DMV filing fee” classes without leave to amend.
- Assisted in achieving defense verdict on ASFA, CLRA, and UCL “backdating” class.
- Defended satellite television retailer in federal court over trademark dispute with satellite service provider.
George is a member of the American Bar Association and Hellenic Law Society of Southern California.
Bar & Court Admissions
US District Court, Central District of California
University of San Diego School of Law, JD, 2006
University of California, Irvine, BA, 2003
Blog Posts by George N. Koumbis
The California Court of Appeals decided yesterday in Benson v. Southern California Auto Sales, Inc., et al, Case No. G050484 (Aug. 27, 2015) that when a dealer has made an appropriate and timely correction offer in response to a Consumers Legal Remedies Act (“CLRA”) notice of violation, a plaintiff cannot subsequently recover attorneys’ fees or costs. This Decision adds another win to a string of recent victories for California dealers.
Ford could have used its 2015 CES keynote to wow the audience with a flashy new self-driving car prototype. Company executives said that Ford is testing one, after all. But Ford had a different idea for its first-ever keynote at the world's largest consumer tech show.
ABOUT ARENT FOX LLP
Arent Fox LLP, founded in 1942, is internationally recognized in core practice areas where business and government intersect. With more than 350 lawyers, the firm provides strategic legal counsel and multidisciplinary solutions to clients that range from Fortune 500 corporations to trade associations. The firm has offices in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, DC.