For those clients developing new properties, we negotiate site acquisition and construction loans and handle all construction-related documentation required by lenders. In cases involving financing for hotel renovations, we assist clients with secured or unsecured loans and address the subordination issues related to any preexisting financing.
We advise clients on structuring their businesses to accommodate joint venture and other equity arrangements, and serve as counsel on sale-leaseback, ground leasing, mezzanine loan, and preferred-equity transactions. Arent Fox has experience in representing borrowers in syndicated and securitized financing transactions and is adept at dealing with rating agency requirements. We draw on the resources of the Arent Fox Public Financing group to assist with any bond financing and tax increment financing.
- The RLJ Development Funds’ mezzanine and mortgage-backed financings, refinancings, loan modifications, loan purchases, loan assumptions, and loan defeasances involving more than $2 billion in debt in connection with various hospitality ventures, including the restructuring of $50 million of debt from Metropolitan Life Insurance Company secured by a Cancun resort hotel.
- Marriott International’s negotiation of an initial $300 million senior construction loan with a bank syndicate and a subsequent $400 million refinancing of the senior loan, as well as the negotiation of a related mezzanine loan, for the Grande Lakes Orlando hotel in Orlando.
- Choice Hotel International’s mezzanine loans to, and preferred equity investments in, franchisees and developers, as well as Choice’s own senior credit facility.
- The Buccini/Pollin Group’s equity and debt financings of the Embassy Suites Newark/Wilmington South located in Wilmington, DE.
- Marriott International’s negotiation of a $179 million senior construction loan in a private offering and the negotiation of a related mezzanine loan for the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa in Phoenix.
- OTO Development’s restructuring and cross-collateralization of a $21 million loan from First Horizon Bank and First Tennessee Bank secured by hotel properties in Virginia and Florida.
- RWN Development Group’s negotiation of construction financing loans from the Maryland Department of Housing and Urban Development and HarVest Bank, secured by the Hotel Brexton in Baltimore (for which RWN Development Group received the 2010 Historic Preservation Award from The Board of Directors of Baltimore Heritage, Inc.).
- JER Partners’ financing of the Ontario Airport Hilton Hotel located in Ontario, CA.
- The Buccini/Pollin Group’s financing of the Homewood Suites located in Newark.
- Northridge Capital’s refinancing of the Sky Hotel, a 90-room ski resort hotel located in Aspen.
- Marriott International’s negotiation of the $101 million construction financing with a bank syndicate, and the negotiation of a related mezzanine loan, for the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa in Tucson.
- Cafritz Interests’ refinancing of the River Inn, a 126-suite hotel located in Washington, DC.
- OTO Development’s negotiation of construction financing for a 206-room hotel within an air rights parcel in the Constitution Square development in Washington, DC.
- Curzon Development Corp.’s refinancing of two permanent loans for hotels in Alexandria and Falls Church, VA.